Take action and make suicide prevention YOUR business.
Do you want to help reduce the incidence of youth suicide? Lots of people say they want to do something to prevent suicide, but don’t know what to do. We’ve made it easy: do any one thing on this list and you will have made a difference for someone. Do more than one and you could save a life.
- Become informed; learn the warning signs for depression and suicide.
- Get involved; make yourself available by showing interest in others.
- Have the courage to talk openly about suicide with friends and family.
- Identify your resources; where and who you can go to for help.
- Learn skills to be supportive and empathetic.
- Join or organize a school club or initiative that promotes peer-facilitated depression awareness, suicide prevention and/or mental health education.
- Research national organizations that advance youth suicide prevention.
- Volunteer your time at a crisis prevention center or community sponsored suicide prevention event.
- Post flyers and distribute information about depression awareness and suicide prevention.